Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Lakeside Symphony Stands With Jon Waters

From: KBB47@aol.com
Sent: 9/5/2014 4:59:34 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Check out #WeStandWithJonWaters


Lakeside Symphony members and alumni --

If you haven't heard about the unfair firing (in late July) of Jon Waters, OSU Marching Band director of less than two years and considered by many across the country to be the best marching band director in the US, you might want to do some Googling on him. Jon is originally from Elmore (31 mi. west of Lakeside), home of the Woodmore High School band (which he no doubt played in at one time), which has been having their band camp in Lakeside as long as I can remember. I've watched those kids many times walking past my cottage on 6th St. with their instruments to the practice field and heard them practicing for many years.
I read someplace where Jon worked in Lakeside for nine years, part of that time, I know, under Joe Caner in the recreation department. The Caners can't speak highly enough of him. Recently the Port Clinton city council, after listening to the Port Clinton High School band director, passed a resolution supporting Jon Waters. I believe the Elmore city council had done the same, and many people have placed signs in their windows supporting him.
Jon is probably the most innovative band director anywhere. You can see some of the band's marching formations on YouTube. He is no doubt one of the first to make extensive use of technology to create some incredible programs. His firing has created a lot of uproar among band alumni, other OSU alumni and other supporters all over the country, and there have been major efforts under way to get Waters reinstated. The online petition, which I hope you will sign (use the link at the top), has garnered thousands of signatures. The last figure I saw was 12,600, and that was at least ten days ago, so it's higher than that by now. Some major donors to the university are currently reconsidering their gifts to OSU. 
Many feel that the investigation by OSU was poorly done and misquoted/misrepresented members of the band. Those members most highly publicized wasted no time in coming forward to make their truthful position known, but the new president of OSU and the Board of Trustees refuse to budge, even to allow Jon Waters so much as a hearing to clear his good name in this mess.
I was privileged to play a number of indoor concerts with the OSUMB over several years before and after 2000, and was highly impressed with the caliber of those 225 kids. Every time, I saw only a very high level of musicianship, discipline, integrity and spirit. And they were only too glad to move my harp for me -- swiftly and with smiles and kid gloves. I was honored to be adopted by the sousaphone section (which required me to play a quick solo on the concert).
Anyway, I hope you will see fit to sign the online petition, whether you have any connection with Ohio State or not. It doesn't matter. Jon Waters deserves the support of anyone and everyone who calls him/herself a musician, not to mention those who support good music. I would love to contact Jon and let him know the Lakeside Symphony stands behind him. I think it would mean a lot to him (no, I don't know him personally). If anyone objects, please let me know.
Many thanks --
Kathie Bracy
LSO harpist 1964-67; 1971-present

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

car stereos
Free Counters
car stereos
free hit counter